Saturday 25 February 2012

GESSO, GEL PENS AND EMBOSSING

 
This is a hybrid card but you could make something very similar without your computer. To make the background, I embossed lightweight black card with the Cuttlebug Owl Flourish folder. I roughly coloured in parts of the owl and swirly bits with gold and silver pens and then covered the lot with a thin coating of gesso. After it was completely dry I gave it a light sanding. I was a bit disappointed that the gold and silver didn't show up quite as well as I'd hoped, but was still pleased with the overall result. (See small picture) From this point on, I scanned the result and added the border (stroke in dark grey sampled from the image), greeting (in the same colour), moon (highly feathered circular selection filled with light gold on a separate layer so a little could be removed with the eraser from the owl) and eye highlights (oval selections filled with white) with digital effects.  You could easily achieve similar results by mounting the owl on a dark grey card, stamping and embossing a greeting, sponging on gold ink for the moon, and finally adding eye highlights with a white gel pen.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'd have to love this one, it is an owl after all :) Great instructions for creating a hybrid...now all I have to do is master PSE LOL Looking forward to your coming posts Heather...means I won't have to remember all the lovely things you showed me yesterday...I can just come back here and refresh my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Heather, I can see that I am going to be learning something new on every visit. Cool technique, either manually or digitally. TFS :)

    ReplyDelete