|TEA THEMED CARD.|
The success was the mottled background paper. I had some large leafed loose vanilla tea, which I enjoyed as a cuppa, and then spread the leaves over a piece of plain white card, leaving it overnight to dry. The leaves died the card this great mottled brown but also gave it a lovely vanilla scent that lasted for a couple of months!
The issues arose with the teacup. I stamped it on thick cardboard with a dye ink, and then heat embossed it with three layers of ultra thick clear embossing powder. This is where it all went astray. Firstly, the Versamark and molten embossing powder caused the stamped writing to run just a little. This wasn't too bad in this context but could cause problems if a crisp image was important. Next time I will try heat set pigment ink and if this doesn't work, Staz-On.
The next problem was the embossing, even although the cardboard was quite thick, it wasn't thick enough for the layers of embossing powder and the heating involved and it curled quite badly. Again, as I wanted to crack the powder it didn't matter too much, and I could straighten it out however it wasn't ideal, and next time I'll die cut two or three thick cups and glue them together to make an ultra-thick base.
Lastly, I wanted to crack the embossing powder and ink over it with sepia ink . I tried to do this by bending the teacup shape backwards and forwards with the results that some pieces came parially off the page, whilst others absolutely refused to break! When I inked it, instead of sitting in subtle cracks the ink leaked under the broken edges and ended up making the whole thing look a bit more smudgy than cracked. So......next time I might try the freezer method, and a thicker ink (I used distress ink).
Next time might be a while though......I'll have to work up to it! On the bright side, I do love the little teacup and tea bag dies from Paper Roses, and I'll definitely put them to good use on other projects.