Friday, 26 October 2012


This technique was inspired by the little piece of Kaiser paper at the bottom.  I began with a white card with a circle cut-out then mounted a piece of red lightweight card with an extra-large star cut out with a hole punch behind it, using double-sided foam tape to add dimension.  a yellow layer with a circular cut out was added in the same way.  This was repeated using smaller punches, and finally the scrapbook paper with the yellow star on the red circle was mounted under a final red star cut out.
To make this fairly thick 3d fit into a regular aperture card, second fold lines need to be scored a few mm away from the existing ones to make a thin "box" enclosure.
This will work with any shapes as long as you have punches or dies in several sizes.

Friday, 19 October 2012


I've combined a few leftovers from previous posts in this little ATC sized card - the left side is printed with paint on hessian, the leaf is a crayon rubbing from an actual leaf and the middle of the paper flower is a stamp pressed into paper clay.  The "new" technique is a bit of a no-brainer but I honestly haven't bothered to do it before.  The scrabble tile letters are from a set of Spellbinders dies by Donna Salazar.  I wanted a very distinctly black colour on the letters so instead of chalking or inking the embossing I just coloured them with a fine black pen whilst they were still in the die with exactly the result I wanted.  I'm going to try some more with a permanant pen on an ivory card and then add a thin layer of dimensional magic - hopefully to achieve the effect of a real scrabble tile.
As I was using left-overs, the colours were a bit um....yes, well......, so after I scanned the card I converted it to black and white and the "colourised it" with Elements.

Friday, 12 October 2012


Another result of playing with embossing powders is my post for this week.  This fan stamp is from Rubbadubbadoo and is another example of why the simplest stamps are often the most useful.  It can be dressed up in all sorts of ways.  I've used Kaiser paper to "fill" every second panel, then "coloured" the in-between panels with Versamark and added copper embossing powder before setting with my heat gun.  I applied a little heat after each application to hold it in place, before heating all over when all of the embossing powder was in place to melt it properly.  I wanted to avoid over-heating any of the sections.
The supports (actually I don't know what the long skinny bits are called but this will do) were coloured with a gold pen.
Finally I cut out the "in-between" bits at the bottom.  I'd like to experiment a bit more with colouring using embossing powders so there may be some multi-coloured efforts coming up in the future.

Saturday, 6 October 2012


I was lucky enough to find a lovely illustrated children's book from the 1920s at Evandale Market a few months ago.  It wasn't in brilliant condition but I scanned a few of the pictures, cleaned up the marks using Elements, and brightened the colours, and was amazed at how well the pictures emerged.
(I believe the coypright should have expired by now).  I resized this image and printed it onto a textured singlefold ivory card.  You can't really see the texture in the picture but it really adds to the overall effect.  I added a little version to the back and as strip of Japanese paper inside.  Best of all there are lots more pictures left to play with!!