Saturday 11 May 2013

RESIN V DIMENSIONAL MAGIC

We bought ourselves a Forstener drill bit....its the sort that drills a large hole with a flat bottom.  My husband is a woodworker and I am (obviously) interested in all things papery so we have been trying some ways of combining the two.

We were aiming at a sort of shiny button effect (with the thought of using it to decorate wooden boxes or jewelry) so we compared paper covered with Dimensional magic to the same covered with two-part resin.  Neither seemed to cause the dye in the (Kaiser) paper to run which was good as I had anticipated we may need to seal it first (I'd still do a test run before a proper project with other papers).  The DM despite my best efforts still had a couple of bubbles.  I'd read that a heat gun would cause them to disappear so duly got out my embossing heat gun and........nothing at all happened to the surface  at all  until the whole thing essentially started to blow up like a big bubblegum bubble and then burst!!!!  This was amusing  but not very encouraging as the end result was all cracked and scratched.  I popped the bubbles on the "second try" effort with a pin, which worked better.  The finish on the two part resin was by far the smoothest and shiniest but it had the effect of greatly darkening the paper which wasn't entirely ideal either.

The end result is that both finishes have potential but drawbacks..........more playtime needed!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment