Saturday 24 November 2012

HEAT EMBOSSED INK JET PRINTING .......OR NOT!

Tempted as I am to pretend that everything I try always turns out beautifully, I have to be honest and say that quite often it doesn't.  Not that I mind too much.....its all part of the process.  this is an example of something I really want to be able to do, but just haven't quite managed to master - heat embossing ink-jet printing.  I have seen lots of references in magazines etc. to other folk that have clearly had more success than me, and suspect it may have something to do with paper branding and/or weight.  In this example, I printed out the word "July" on gloss photo paper (as advised by one article), applied copper embossing powder and was happy to see it melting as it should when the top coating of the paper swelled up like a piece of bubblegum (quite impressive), and popped (also kind of funny), leaving the end result rather sad and sorry.  Perhaps if someone out there has tried this with greater success, they might like to offer advice.  Otherwise, I'll keep working on it when time allows until I get it right!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather...finally found time to come and have a browse of your blog again. It's wonderful...so many great techniques :) I've tried this technique and had success...use a plain 140-200g cardstock and set your printer to high quality photo printing...I found this lays down the most ink and is the slowest to dry. As soon as the cardstock comes out of the printer, pounce on it with your embossing powder!!...without getting EP all over your printer lol I sprinkled the EP on while the cardstock was still on the printer tray! My test worked well when I tried it. I found the tricky bit was getting the embossing powder on the print before the ink started to dry. Hope this works for you :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks Lynne, I'll give this a try as soon as I get a chance to play!!

    ReplyDelete